The easy answer is that I’m in a rut. Burnout is a real deal. The midlife crisis feels like a real thing. But I know what has been lacking is my desire to find things I want to do. Comfort is the enemy, and has been the easy choice.
I’m approaching 50. I’ve had things I’ve looked forward to, but I work in the digital agency space. I’m the unicorn that transformed from a traditional advertising agency to the new breed of creative studios. I’m also from the first generation of technology. I inherently know how to troubleshoot and dig through obscure tech stacks to find the solutions to problems. Yeah, like the fucking printer issue.
Knowing I’m in the burnout rut. I’m going to start looking for ways to get back to being me. Starting with giving myself some things to pursue, the fucking bucket list. I’ll either add to this post or create new ones as new bucket list items come along.
Starting My Bucket List
- Visit Zion National Park in the winter, devoid of crowds. I’ve been several times in spring and summer, but I’ve heard some great stories about how peaceful it is minus the crowds with some snow on the ground.
- Visit San Diego Comic Con with my son. My 14yo is my mini me. We do some gaming together, we do movies together. Comic Con is his mecca and I’d love to experience this with him.
- Experience a rocket launch at Cape Canaveral with my daughter. My 12yo daughter is a space nerd like me. Her goal in life (at the ripe age of 12) is to be a NASA scientist. I’d love to keep her on this path and witness a rocket launch at the source.
- An on-ocean cabin resort with my wife.
- A new house with open living spaces for entertaining. Friends, family etc.
- Start a company.
- Visit Machu Pichu.
- Visit Paris.
- Visit Australia and/or New Zealand.
- Get back to a comfortable weight.
- Become debt free.
- Play golf in Ireland. Ideally with my pop.
And some more mundane things that I’ve wanted to do for a while but haven’t found the time.
- Go to a Broncos game at the new Mile High Stadium. I’d been to several games at the old stadium, but I’ve never been to the one.
- Take my kids to a Husker Football Game. I’ve had plenty of opportunities but, HD TV makes it more comfortable to sit on the couch.
- Visit Glacier National Park.
- Visit Yellowstone National Park with the kids.
- Make my own salsa.
That’s what I’ve got for now. More to come.